Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Community Story 5- Public Policy Problem



I'm not sure if this constitutes a public policy problem, but it was a policy that affected me negatively personally. In New Hampshire school buses will only bring you home if you live more than two miles from the school. My house was a mile and a half away. During middle school this was a serious problem. I usually carpooled to school and walked home. Home was the worst though because my house is on an enormous hill. Often I had to walk back and forth a few times a day for after school sports practices and things.

Thinking about this made me realize a huge difference between my life before and after I was allowed to drive. My friends and I walked so much back then! Katie, my best friend, and I would walk to my house after school and have a snack. Then we would walk to another friend's house or to the store for candy or something. Then usually we had cheer practice or something back at the school. That's about 6 miles! If I walked that far now I would consider it serious exercise. I basically freak out if I'm on campus after the buses stop running and I have to walk to Kite Hill, about a quarter mile. But back then walking represented freedom and Independence not exercise or an unpleasant task.

No comments:

Post a Comment